iPhones that have been Jailbroken & unlocked sell better on eBay, so I decided to Jailbreak my old 2nd generation iPhone OS 3.0 before I put it up for auction. This is the second time I Jailbreak my iPhone after writing my original iPhone Jailbreak guide a couple years ago.
Here’s how I did it:
[Note: This iPhone Jailbreak guide is intended for 2nd generation iPhones with 3.0 firmware or below ONLY. For instructions on jailbreaking other iPhone versions, visit the ultimate guide to jailbreaking your iPhone.]
Jailbreak iPhone 2G with OS 3.0
- This iPhone Jailbreak guide requires you to download the following: (1) RedSn0w for Windows, Mac or Linux; (2) the 3.0 firmware for iPhone 2G; and (3) the 3.9 and (4) 4.6 BootLoaders if you want to unlock your iPhone in addition to Jailbreaking. Save your downloads in a folder named “Jailbreak.”
- Launch RedSn0w and click “Browse.” Find the 3.0 firmware (the .ipsw file you just downloaded to your Jailbreak folder) and select it. Then click “Next” to restore your 2G iPhone to the 3.0 firmware.
- Choose whether to install Cydia, install Icy and/or unlock your iPhone. I chose to install Cydia (like an “App Store” for Jailbreak) and to unlock my iPhone 2G, which allows the iPhone to be used on non-approved carriers.
- If you chose to unlock your iPhone, RedSn0w will ask you to identify the bootloader files you downloaded in Step 1.
- Now turn off your iPhone (but leave it connected via USB), click “Next” and follow instructions.
In under a minute, you will have a Jailbroken iPhone 2G.
- Let your iPhone reboot, open Cydia and download a bunch of cool apps and modifications that you could not otherwise download with a factory iPhone.
What Do You Think?
Did this Jailbreak solution work for you? Got any iPhone Jailbreak tips? Let us know in the comments.Tweet
Get more iPhone insights, reviews & how-to's on Facebook: